The Brainerd HRA owns and manages 203 units of public housing including the North Star Apartments, Scattered Sites, and Valley Trail, as well as manages 60 one- and two-bedroom apartments at Brainerd South.
View the tabs to the left to explore rental housing properties and programs.
The following is the way the HRA defines maintenance work order categories.
Emergency: Maintenance problems that pose an immediate threat to life, health, safety or property, or related to fire safety. Examples: the smell of gas, no heat, a toilet that is overflowing which may cause property damage if it is not repaired. Emergency Work Orders are addressed in 24 hours or less. If there is a fire, call 911 before calling for maintenance help.
Urgent: Work order items that are not an emergency, but need attention in a timely manner. Urgent work orders will be addressed within 3 working days. Example: An electrical outlet stops working.
Routine: Maintenance work that is scheduled for a predetermined date. Example: Annual furnace cleanings.
If you have need for maintenance on your HRA rental unit and it is not an emergency, please call 218-824-3424 and place a maintenance request. If you get a voicemail message, please leave your name, phone number, address, and a brief description of the maintenance problem, and if it is okay to enter if you are not home.
North Star Apartments
- One-bedroom apartments
- Smoke-free building
- Convenient location with Mississippi views
- Tenants pay 30% of adjusted monthly income for rent
- Utilities included
- 3-bed, single-family homes & duplexes w/1-car garage
- Smoke-free properties
- Washer/dryer hook ups
- Tenant pays 30% of adjusted monthly income for rent
- Water, sewer and garbage included
- Tenant is responsible for heat and electric
- 2, 3 & 4-bed, single-family homes & duplexes w/1-car garage
- Smoke-free property
- Washer/dryer hookups
- Tenant pays 30% of adjusted annual income for rent
- Tenant is responsible for electric and heat
- Water, sewer and garbage included
Brainerd South Apartments feature 60 one- and two-bedroom apartments located at 1969 and 1987 South 7th Street.
- One and two bedroom spacious apartments
- Quiet South Brainerd location
- Large closets
- Security cameras located in public areas
- Heat, water, sewer and garbage included
- Minimum annual income requirements:
- 1 Bedroom – $15,500
- 2 Bedroom – $17,300
- Program Income Limits apply
The Resident Opportunity & Self-Sufficiency (ROSS) Coordinator Program provides funding to hire and maintain service coordinators to assist public housing residents. The Brainerd HRA was awarded the ROSS grant in late 2016, which made it possible to hire a ROSS Coordinator. Our ROSS Coordinator works with Brainerd public housing residents to achieve greater economic independence, housing satisfaction, and self- sufficiency. She works in conjunction with local resources and community service providers. As housing stability and personal resources increase, dependence on housing subsidy and other financial assistance programs is expected to decrease. The ROSS Program is open to all residents in public housing. In Brainerd, this is a potential participant base of 203 households.
- 162 North Star Units (1BR & 2BR)
- 25 Valley Trail Units (2BR, 3BR & 4BR)
- 16 Scattered Site Units (3BR)
The program has identified a goal of 263 resident contacts through the end of the 2018 program year. It is expected that 135 participants will have achieved their self-sufficiency goals by the end of the 2018 program year.
For more information, please contact: