The Brainerd HRA HCV/Section 8 program waiting list will be CLOSED effective July 15, 2019, at 4:30 PM.
The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV)/Section 8 program is a rental subsidy program that provides low-income families with a voucher that can be used in the private market.
The Brainerd HRA has 320 Housing Choice Vouchers. Eligible families find their own rental unit in Crow Wing County. The unit must meet Housing Quality Standards (HQS) and the landlord must agree to participate in the program.
- Eligible families find their own rental unit in Crow Wing County
- The unit must pass an inspection
- Program participants pay no more than 40% of their adjusted gross income for rent and utilities
- The HRA pays the balance of the rent directly to the landlord
View the Income Guidelines (PDF)»
Payment Standards & Utilities (PDF)»
Administrative Plan for the Housing Choice Voucher Program (PDF)»
Download your application here or below to be placed on the waiting list for HCV/Section 8.
Family Self-Sufficiency Program
The Brainerd HRA has offered the Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) Program to its residents since 1990. The program is designed to help Housing Choice Voucher holders and residents of public housing and HUD-assisted multi-family housing to make progress toward economic security.
Resident participation in FSS is completely voluntary. Residents who choose to enroll in FSS work with an FSS program coordinator who helps them identify a series of intermediate and long-term goals and the steps they plan to take to achieve those goals.
FSS helps participants increase their earnings and build financial capability and assets through two key features, which build on the platform of stable housing created by rental assistance.
- A financial incentive for participants to increase their earnings in the form of an escrow savings account that increases as residents’ earnings increase. The escrow account helps participants build savings that they can use to improve their quality of life and advance their personal goals. Escrow funds can also help participants cover the cost of services that may be needed to make progress toward goals while enrolled in the program, such as employment training or car repair.
- Case management or coaching to help residents access services they may need to overcome barriers to employment, strengthen their financial capability, and address other challenges holding them back from achieving their goals.
For more information
View the Family Self-Sufficiency Program Brochure»
Carrie Burrell, Family Self-Sufficiency Coordinator
(218) 828-3705 , EXT. #3427
Download an application for the Family Self-Sufficiency Program here.
The Bridges Rental Assistance Program is a state-funded program that provides housing assistance for people with a Serious Mental Illness (SMI) and have very low incomes (household gross income is under 50 percent of the area median).
The program’s goals are to:
- Provide housing subsidies for people who are experiencing housing instability in order to bridge the time until a federal or other permanent housing subsidy program is available.
- Maintain and foster the integration of people with SMI into their communities through a partnership of housing subsidy and supportive services.
The Brainerd HRA administers the Bridges Program through a Cooperative Agreement with Region V+ Mental Health Initiative (Aitkin, Cass, Crow Wing , Morrison, Todd, and Wadena Counties Health and Human Services Departments.
Download an application for the Bridges Program here or the link below