Jump to HCV/Section 8 | Maintenance | Housing Rehab | General Questions

Public Housing

  • How do I apply for public housing?

You are able to apply for public housing on the website by clicking on How to Apply at the top of this page.  If you need further assistance, you can call (218) 824-3424

  • Where are the houses located?

The HRA owns the North Star Apartments which are located at 410 East River Road.  Also, there are 24 duplexes on SW 5th Street and 16 scattered site units throughout the city of Brainerd. The HRA also owns 12 duplexes (24 units) on a cul de sac and 16 scattered sites.

  • How much do I pay for rent?

Your rent is based on 30% of your gross adjusted income.  The Brainerd HRA staff will determine your exact rent amount.

  • Where do I pay my rent?

You can pay your rent at the Brainerd HRA office, the drop box located in front of the office or you can set up an automatic withdrawal from your banking account. There is also a drop box on 2nd floor office at the North Star Apartments.

  • What do I do if I need something fixed in my apartment?

You can submit a non-emergency work order by clicking on the Maintenance tab at the top and then click on Non-Emergency Work Order on the right hand column. You can also call (218) 824-3424 during working hours or (218) 839-0055 after working hours.

  • What do I do if my income changes?

If you reside in public housing and have a change in income, you must report if to the Brainerd HRA within 10 days.

HCV/Section 8

  • How do I apply for Section 8?

The Section 8 waiting list is currently closed.  When it opens, we will post information on the website as well as in the Brainerd Dispatch.

  • How much is my rent?

Your rent is based on 30% of your income.  However, if you choose to rent a unit that is higher than the Payment Standard, you could pay up to 40% of your income towards rent.

  • What is a Payment Standard?

A Payment Standard is the maximum amount the Brainerd HRA will pay for your unit and is based on the Fair Market Rents established for Crow Wing County.

  • Can I move to another city and still keep my Section 8?

A Housing Choice Voucher is portable to another City.  If you are considering moving, you should contact the Section 8 staff immediately so there is not a delay in your assistance.

  • What is Family Self Sufficiency?

Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) is a program from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) connecting housing assistance and supportive services to eligible families with a HCV.  The goal of the Family Self-Sufficiency Program is to enable current families and individuals participating in the HCV program to take control of their lives, becoming economically and socially independent through the coordination and delivery of existing community services.  FSS assists families and individuals with acquiring the skills needed to achieve financial independence and the pride that goes with it.

  • What is the Home Ownership Program?

HCV program participants are able to use their Housing Choice Vouchers to purchase their own homes. By working with local mortgage lenders, we have made it possible for families to move from rental housing into affordable homes.

Once eligibility is determined, you will be required to attend homebuyer education training.  When you complete this training, you will be ready to seek financing at the lender of your choice.  You will be on your way to owning your own home!

  • What do I do if my income changes?

If your income changes, you must report it to the Section 8 Staff within 30 days.

  • What do I do if I get married, divorced or have a child?

If you have a change in your household composition, you must report that change within 30 days to the Section 8 Staff.

  • What do I do if I need something fixed in my house?

You should contact your landlord


  • Who do I call if I need something fixed in my apartment?

You can submit a non-emergency work order. You can also call (218) 824-3424 during working hours or (218) 839-0055 after working hours.

  • How do I know if something is an emergency?

Emergencies are something that post an immediate threat to life, health, safety or property or related to fire safety. Example: a toilet that is overflowing which may cause property damage if it is not repaired.

  • If Maintenance repairs something and I’m not home, how do I know they fixed it?

Maintenance will leave a note notifying you they have been there.

  • What do I do if I’m locked out of my apartment?

During Brainerd HRA working hours, call (218) 824-3424. If it’s after hours, call the Dispatch phone at (218) 839-0055.

  • Will I be charged for repairs made to my apartment?

Residents are not charged for normal wear and tear maintenance needs in their unit. However, if damage is caused due to tenant abuse or negligence, the resident will be charged for the cost of repairs.

Housing Rehab

  • I need to make some repairs to my house.  Who do I call?

The Brainerd HRA is applying for funds to assist eligible homeowners to make repairs to their homes.  Contact John Schommer at (218) 824-3432 for more information.

  • Are there income limits for housing rehab programs?

Most of the programs administered by the Brainerd HRA will have income limits.  Check the website frequently to see if the Brainerd HRA has funds available.

General Questions

  • What do HRA’s do?

Housing and Redevelopment Authorities (HRA) were created under Chapter 469 in the Minnesota State Statutes. In June of 1966, the City of Brainerd created a City Housing and Redevelopment Authority by resolution. As defined in M.S. 469.001, the purpose of a HRA is:
1) to provide a sufficient supply of adequate, safe, and sanitary dwellings in order to protect the health, safety, morals, and welfare of the citizens of this state;
2) to clear and redevelop blighted areas;
3) to perform those duties according to comprehensive plans;
4) to remedy the shortage of housing for low and moderate income residents, and to redevelop blighted areas, in situations in which private enterprise would not act without government participation or subsidies

The Statute identifies various powers of HRA’s which include, but is not limited to:
• Acquire and sell property
• Redevelopment
• Issue bonds
• Perform Needs Assessments
• Operate and/or acquire affordable housing including federally assisted public housing
• Administer Section 8 Program
• Develop and administer housing rehab loan or grant programs
• Create interest reduction programs
• Operate parking facilities
• Develop and administer down payment programs
• Housing development projects